Thursday 24 November 2011

POLLY WOLLY DOODLE ALL THE DAY WITH BOB

So here I am, not been out for two weeks trying to get rid of this horrible running nose cold with a battered immune system going stir crazy watching day time TV, tweeting and playing Facebook games! Not being able to taste too much I have been living on all kinds of soups and crackers for the last ten days with an aptly named “dragon” mouth.  Have I felt sorry for myself?  Almost certainly at times but hey what is the point of wallowing or worrying too much and I always have this blog to get rid of my frustrations!
Having found out that soup is the mainstay of most people while going through TAX chemo sessions also rice pudding and a yearning for bacon I find myself that I am not that unusual including the effects if this chemo – It looks as if I have also been lucky as some people going through TAX have many more problems than I have had.  Having joined the Breast Cancer Care chat forums it looks as if I have a couple of more things to look forward too! Having sailed relatively well through FEC chemo sessions this one knocked me for six – and catching a viral cold two days after didn’t help as well!  I have had the muscle pains, insomnia, hard skin on feet which makes it difficult to walk comfortably, mouth thrush and sores in mouth, extreme fatigue and worse of all the loss of my taste buds!  For the first five days I couldn’t focus on anything very much, but did manage to read five books – thank God for books! There was the scare when my temperature went up too high, a visit to the hospital for checks and a borderline decision on whether I needed to go to hospital.  My next chemo is next week and not only am I worried that my blood counts won’t be good this time – I know what to expect afterwards and that is no fun at all!  The good thing is that time is now going so fast that this will be my fifth chemo with only one more to go and then I can concentrate more on recovery – although there is still radiotherapy to go through.
I tried to do a Facebook survey with my on-line friends on their favourite soups but only got two replies – but my next shopping trip I will be stocking up on all kinds of soups – food is now all about texture and adding some spice – but not too hot because it hurts my mouth – come on everybody let me know what your favourite soups are?  I am looking forward to a friend who has promised to make be Chinese chicken noodle soup – yum if I can taste it properly!  I have also had to force myself to make sure I am taking enough liquids cos even water, tea, coffee and juices all tasted like dishwater! The positive in this – the fact that my sense of smell is bad, no taste and even chocolate tastes (!) bad and thus having no appetite I have lost a bit of weight.  A bit of a drastic diet!

Soup apparently an answer to dieting problems and this has been proved in scientific studies as well – do not undervalue the importance of a good soup (but keep away from some of the creamy ones)!  Some facts: Eating soup at the start of a meal fills the stomach, which signals the brain to curtail appetite; Eating soup is a low-calorie way of satisfying a person's need for a certain VOLUME of food; Easting soup fools the body's natural sensors into thinking more calories have been consumed than actually have. Eating soup regularly helps you lose weight because it changes your eating patterns.
I even found a soup song on-line (sang to tune of Polly Wolly Doodle All the Day) and yes at the moment Chicken Noodle soup is my favourite – great texture and yummy when you can taste it!!!  So one, two, three ….
Oh I had some tea and soup called pea
 I was eating chicken noodle all day
I found a big bone and was eating minestrone
I was eating chicken noodle all day
I felt good, I felt good, I felt real good today
I had a big banana and I went to Soup Havana
 I was eating chicken noodle all day.

 I had tomato soup and baked potato soup
 I was eating chicken noodle all day
 I had a soup tornado and then a soup Alfredo
 I was eating chicken noodle all day
 I felt good, I felt good, I felt real good today
 I had a big banana and I went to soup Havana
 I was eating chicken noodle all day.

 I don't want a card but some soup with Swiss Chard
I want a Lamborgini and a soup with tortellini
I was eating chicken noodle all day
I felt good, I felt good, I felt real good today
I had a big banana and I went to soup Havana
I was eating chicken noodle all day!!
 I was eating chicken noodle all the day! Hey!

Me thinks I won't be stuffing myself this Christmas with my last chemo on the 21st of December but have promised my son and myself that just before I will book us in somewhere for a nice Christmas dinner!
Anyway for now my tastes buds have come back, having tasted egg and bacon (and heavenly marmalade on toast) again I am feeling so much better – it’s strange how good food can have such an effect on your moods
Happy eating everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment